Could there be a more delicious combination than churros and waffles? They're basically an excuse to eat dessert for breakfast. They have all the sweet cinnamon-y flavor, crunchy outside, and soft middle of a churro. They’re 20x faster and easier than homemade churros too—no need to fuss with rolling out dough and throwing it in the deep fryer. Deep frying gets messy, and nobody wants to clean that up.
Thankfully this churro waffle isn’t fried, so you can lie to yourself and say that it’s healthy. Denial at its finest.
Start with Lehi Mills Belgian Waffle Mix. The churro waffles turn out soft on the inside and crispy on the outside. Reminiscent of a good churro. Keep them warm in the oven until your ready to churro-fy them. They’ll stay nice and crispy.
Now, the most important part. Churro-fy the waffle. Break each waffle into four pieces. This will allow you to properly cover each section. Brush each section with melted butter using a pastry brush and sprinkle it with cinnamon sugar. You can roll it in the cinnamon sugar to make it quicker, but it will be much prettier and more evenly coated if you sprinkle it.
You’ll want to eat it hot and crispy, but if you need to reheat it, you’re in luck! These waffles reheat remarkably well. Reheat in a toaster oven until golden. Be careful to watch them closely—the sugar burns fairly quickly. They will be amazingly crispy!
Churro Waffle Recipe
- 2 cups of Lehi Mills Belgian Waffle Mix
- 1 1/2 cups of water
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 tablespoon of cinnamon
- 1/2 stick of butter
- Mix 2 cups Lehi Mills Belgian Waffle Mix with 1 ½ cups water until slightly lumpy. Cook in a Belgian waffle iron until golden.
- Set waffles aside until they are just cool enough to handle. If you’re making a lot of waffles, place them in a 200 degree oven to keep them warm.
- While the waffles are cooking, melt butter in a bowl. Combine the cinnamon and sugar on a plate.
- Brush each waffle with butter, covering the sides and top but not filling the pockets. Sprinkle cinnamon sugar over each waffle, covering the sides and top but not filling the pockets.
- Serve with whipped cream and berries, chocolate ganache, or dulce de leche.