You might not think of a berry pie as an easy-peasy homemade dessert. But a berry galette is a much more approachable version of the classic dessert that’s, well, easy as pie! A galette is a free form pie. It’s baked flat on a baking sheet instead of layered in a pie dish.
Galettes are supposed to be a more rustic, old-fashioned looking pie, so you don’t have to do any fancy crust crimping at all. Really, all you have to do is roll out the dough, scoop the filling in the middle, and fold the edge of the crust over. (Speaking of crust, our Peacock All-Purpose Flour makes the best flaky and tender pie crust!)
For this pie, we kept the filling very simple, without many added ingredients. We really love how the fresh fruit shines through.
If you want to dress up this rustic pie a little bit, you can double the pie crust and cut out some fun shapes with cookie cutters. Layer those around the edge or the middle of the pie and you’ll have the cutest dessert. We cut out stars over ours for the 4th of July, but you could do hearts for Valentine’s day, or pumpkins for fall!
If you make this Berry Galette recipe, take a photo and share it with us on social media. Tag us on Instagram and Facebook @lehimills and use the hashtag #LehiFamily. We love to see you all enjoying Lehi Mills products and might even feature your photo on our account!
For the Crust:
- 1 1/2 cups Lehi Mills Peacock Flour
- ½ cup chilled butter
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 3-5 tablespoons ice water
For the Berry Filling:
- 2 cups blueberries
- 2 cups strawberries, halved or quartered
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons berry jam (optional)
- Coarse sugar (optional)
- Cut the butter into cubes. Combine the flour, butter, and salt with a pastry cutter until the mixture comes together in pea sized crumbs. Add the vinegar, then sprinkle the water over the dough, one tablespoon at a time, and mix until the dough is just combined. You might not need to use all the water. Do not over work the dough.
- Gather the dough into a disk, wrap with plastic, and chill for an hour.
- Meanwhile, make the filling. Combine the berries, lemon juice, cornstarch, and sugar in a bowl. Place in the fridge until the dough is chilled
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface into a circle. You can trim the edges if you’d like a cleaner look. Transfer to a lined baking sheet.
- If you’d like a sweeter berry galette, spread the jam over the center of the circle, leaving enough room around the edge to fold the crust over. Spread the fruit filling mixture over the crust. Fold the edges over the filling. It should look like a pizza crust. Sprinkle coarse sugar over the crust if you’d like it a little sweeter.
- Bake the galette at 425 F for 30 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly. Let cool slightly and serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. Enjoy!