With warmer weather comes the desire to eat out of doors and enjoy the sunshine. This means we need dessert ideas that won’t melt in the heat — like this summer crepe cake! Not only is it beautiful to display, but it’s also yummy to eat and fun to make. Full disclosure, we used whip cream for our summer crepe cake; but we’ve also included a list of spreads you can use on your crepe cake that shouldn’t melt as quickly in the sunshine as whipped cream will.
If you use this Summer Crepe Cake recipe, take a photo and share it with us on social media. Tag us on Instagram and Facebook @lehimills and use the hashtag #LehiMillsFamily. We love to see you all enjoying Lehi Mills products and might even feature your photo on our account or stories!
Summer Crepe Cake Recipe
- 1 box of Lehi Mills Classic Pancake Mix
- 3 eggs
- 2 1/4 c milk
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 pint of heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 c powdered sugar
- Dump the pancake mix into a large mixing bowl. Make a well in the center and add the eggs and milk into the well. Carefully mix until no lumps remain. Add in the vanilla and salt and stir until smooth. Add more milk (or less) if you want thinner crepes.
- If using a crepe maker, follow the instructions given with the equipment. If using a crepe pan, carefully pour 1/4 cup of batter onto the heated pan. Tilt the pan with a circular motion so that the batter coats the surface evenly.
- After about 2 minutes, use a spatula to carefully flip the crepe to cook the other side.
- When cooked, place the finished crepe on a sheet of parchment paper.
- Repeat steps 2 – 4 until you have your desired amount of crepes. For comparison, we usually make about 24 crepes for our crepe cakes.
- To make the whipped cream, pour the heavy whipping cream into a mixing bowl and beat it until creamy. Carefully stir in the powdered sugar and vanilla. Beat until it reaches the constancy you desire. (You can add more powdered sugar or less depending on how sweet you want it).
- To make the summer crepe cake, place a crepe onto a cake plate and add a dollop of whipped cream, Spread with a spatula until even and add another crepe. Continue alternating crepe and the whipped cream layers until you run out or reach the desired height.
- Top with whatever you’re craving in the moment, like fresh fruit, jam, festive sprinkles, or chocolate!
- If used to celebrate a birthday or event, add sparklers or candles to the cake for additional cuteness.
Some notes about the crepe cake:
- To make a summer crepe cake that’ll withstand the heat, consider layering your crepe cake with nutella, marshmallow fluff, syrup, or peanut butter. If you do want to use whipped cream, leave your summer crepe cake in the fridge until the last possible moment to prevent the cream from melting.
- If you want to make it easier to cut and serve later, consider using toothpicks or skewers as you’re stacking the cake. This will relieve some of the pressure and will prevent the layers from sliding around as you’re cutting. Also, make sure to use a sharp knife when cutting a cake slice.
- Contrary to what you might expect, this summer crepe cakes is actually best served chilled. You can also add a fruit syrup in between the whipped cream layers to add a bit more sweetness to the cake.