You just bought a 25 lb bag of flour. You open up your favorite recipe book and the recipe calls for self-rising flour! What do you do now?
Don't worry! You don't have to run over to the grocery store to pick up a bag —you can make it yourself super easily!
We’ll go over how to make self-rising flour, cake flour, and homemade Bisquick so you can be prepared for any recipe that you need!
How to Make Self-Rising Flour
Self-rising flour is basically just flour with baking powder and salt! Self-rising flour is one of those 3-in-1 ingredients that you sometimes need, but isn’t worth buying a whole bag of. Making your own is super easy at home!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Measure all ingredients and whisk to combine.
How to Make Cake Flour
Cake flour has a lower protein content than all-purpose or bread flour. However, you can add cornstarch to all-purpose flour to mimic that lower protein content!
- 14 tablespoons of all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled)*
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
- Start with 14 tablespoons of all-purpose flour and add cornstarch.
- Sift together twice into a mixing bowl.
- Measure out 1 cup from this mixture (since sifting sometimes produces more volume).
- Voila! Now you have 1 cup of cake flour that you can use in any recipes requiring cake flour.
Sound like too much work? We also sell 5 pound cake flour!
How to Make Bisquick
Homemade Bisquick is super easy! Don’t waste your money buying a whole box. You probably have all of the ingredients in your pantry already! All you need is flour, baking powder, salt, and shortening. Make up a big batch and keep it in an airtight container in your fridge for whenever you need it!
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup vegetable shortening, cubed
- Add the flour, baking powder, and salt to a food processor and pulse for 15 seconds.
- Add in the vegetable shortening and pulse the processor until the mixture resembles cornmeal.
- Place homemade Bisquick into an airtight container and store within the refrigerator for up to 3 months.
The Lehi Mills Difference
Lehi Mills has been milling premium flour since 1906. Lehi Mills prides itself on being a small, family-run mill. The company works with local farmers and handpicks each batch of wheat, ensuring the highest possible quality flour.
Lehi Mills Turkey Bread Flour is a high-protein flour that rises incredibly well. It is perfect for making artisan bread, sandwich loaves, cinnamon rolls, dinner rolls, and much more! This flour is perfect if you’re an avid bread baker.
Lehi Mills Peacock All-Purpose Flour is a versatile flour that makes amazing bread but also makes light and airy pastries, pie crust, decadent cookies, and cakes. This flour is perfect if you dabble in bread baking but also make lots of other baked goods.
All our products focus on quality first. That's what makes it the best flour around!
Leave a comment