Chili and cornbread is the perfect meal for you to enjoy when the weather is bleak outside; both flavors compliment each other in such a comforting and cozy way. We turned our cornbread mix into a waffle and topped it with an award winning family chili recipe. Best part is that, though traditionally a cold-weather meal, this chili and cornbread dinner idea is perfect even during the summertime.
Follow the recipe below to test this out in your kitchen, and let us know your thoughts! If you do use this cozy chili and cornbread recipe, take a photo and share it with us on social media. Tag us on Instagram and Facebook @lehimills and use the hashtag #LehiMillsFamily. We love to see you all enjoying Lehi Mills products and might even feature your photo on our account or stories!
Chili and Cornbread Recipe
- 3 cups of cornbread mix
- 1 cup of water
- 2 pounds of ground beef
- 1 large red onion (diced)
- 1 large green pepper (diced)
- 1 large jalapeño (diced)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 cup of red cooking wine
- 1/2 cup of red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup of Worcestershire sauce
- 3 cans of petite diced tomatoes with onion and garlic (undrained)
- 1 can of black beans (undrained)
- 1 can of garbanzo beans (undrained)
- 1 can of light kidney beans (undrained)
- 1 tablespoon of chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon of celery seeds
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper
- sour cream
- shredded cheese
For the Chili:
- Cook the ground beef in a skillet with the diced red onion, green pepper, jalapeño, and garlic.
- After the meat has browned, add the cooking wine, red wine vinegar, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Once the liquids have been reduced, remove from heat and pour the skillet contents into a large soup pot.
- Pour in the cans of diced tomatoes, black beans, garbanzo beans, and kidney beans. Add in the chili powder, dry mustard, celery seeds, salt, and pepper. Stir and bring contents to a boil.
- Once it begins to boil, reduce heat to low and let simmer for 30 minutes with the lid on.
- Remove the lid and let cook for another 30 minutes.
For the Cornbread:
- In a medium bowl combine cornbread mix and water. Stir until combined.
- Pour batter into a preheated waffle iron and cook.
- Place the finished cornbread waffle onto a plate and top with desired amounts of chili, cheese, sour cream, chives, and whatever other toppings you prefer.
- Enjoy your chili and cornbread!