With the outbreak and spread of COVID-19 and changing circumstances, things have felt quite unsettled, alarming, and it has been a lot of unknowns. During quarantine I have craved chocolate chip cookies. Once I had the thought it was not able to leave my mind. I think with the uncertainty of everything going on I was craving familiarness, something known, and warm. Something that reminds you of home. Which for me is exactly what a chocolate chip cookie reminds me of. There is nothing quite like the simpleness of a chocolate chip cookie to make you feel nostalgic and remind you of everything good.
As soon as I saw this recipe I have wanted to try it. I bought the chocolate for it prior, so I was really excited to try it out. With its use of a cut up chocolate bar it adds a beautiful rustic and gourmet look to the cookies over traditional chocolate chips.
Pecans are optional in the recipe, and for those that like texture and nuts. It definitely is an added ingredient I recommend. unfortunatly, I did not have vanilla paste on hand. As it is not the best time for shopping, substituted it for regular vanilla, and it turned out great.
Since it has been a time where more time has been spent at home, these cookies feel like you just went to a gourmet bakery, and they received rave reviews from those who they were shared with.
Making and baking these cookies and enjoying them with others proved to be a highlight. The chopping of the chocolate, the measuring and mixing of the ingredients, the sunlight spilling in through the windows, the sound of the mixer, the scooping of the dough, the excitement that a delicious treat was soon coming out of the oven, all brought back some of the normalcy of life and feeling that everything was okay. Sometimes it is the simple things that are just the perfect comforts and reminders. And sometimes all life needs is some chocolate chip cookies.
Quarantine Chocolate Chip Cookies:
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 3 ¼ cup Lehi Mills Turkey Bread Flour
- 1 ¼ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla paste
- 330g bittersweet chocolate + a few large chunks set aside
- 1 cup chopped pecans
– Preheat oven to 365˚F
– Chop your chocolate and set aside.
– Melt your butter in a small saucepan.
– Whisk together your dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
– Pour the melted butter into a large bowl and whisk in your sugars. Add eggs one at a time to your butter mixture – whisking after each addition until just combined. Stir in vanilla paste.
– Add your dry ingredients to your wet mixture slowly. Once combined, add your chopped chocolate and pecans to the dough.
– Cover the dough in parchment paper or plastic wrap and let it rest for 15-30 minutes in the fridge.
– Form dough into cookie balls using ice cream scoop. Place a few extra chocolate chunks on top of the cookie dough balls.
– Bake for 10-12 minutes. Take out right when edges start getting golden. Do not overbake.
– Let cool on a cookie rack for 10 minutes and enjoy!
Recipe sourced from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?
– Laura Walton – Guest Blogger