Baking Cinnamon Rolls with Browned Butter Frosting
It’s that time of year again. The mornings and evenings are cooling down, and you’re itching for a warm, yummy dessert! This cinnamon roll recipe has potato flakes for an extra soft and chewy dough, and the brown butter glaze has an incredible caramel-y flavor.
If you use this cinnamon roll recipe, take a photo and share it with us on social media. Tag us on Instagram and Facebook @lehimills and use the hashtag #LehiMillsFamily. We love to see you all enjoying Lehi Mills products and might even feature your photo on our account or stories!
Cinnamon Rolls with Browned Butter Frosting
For the Cinnamon Rolls:
- 1 1/2 tablespoon of Active Dry Yeast
- 3 cups of milk
- 1/2 cup of butter
- 1/4 cup of shortening
- 1 cup of instant potato flakes
- 3/4 cup of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 4 eggs
- 7-8 cups of Lehi Mills Turkey Bread Flour
For the Filling:
- 2 cups of brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons of ground cinnamon
- 1 cup of butter, softened
Brown Butter Glaze:
- 2 sticks of butter
- 4 cups of sifted confectioners’ sugar
- 2 teaspoons of pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup of whole milk
- Mix yeast with 1/4 cup warm water and 1/2 tsp sugar in a small bowl. Set aside and let sit 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat milk in a medium sized bowl and mix in the butter and shortening. Add the potato flakes, sugar, and salt. Let sit on the countertop until it cools slightly.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat 4 eggs and add the above milk mixture. Make sure the milk isn’t too hot but is warm. Add the yeast.
- Mix on low speed and slowly add the flour until the dough pulls away from the sides of the mixer. Sometimes it might need all 8 cups, but sometimes you will only need 7.
- Let the dough rise in a warm place for one hour or until doubled in size.
- While the dough is rising, make the filling. Mix brown sugar and cinnamon in a bowl and set aside
- Divide dough in two equal balls. Roll out one ball on floured countertop into a large rectangle until it is uniformly 1/2-inch thick.
- Melt 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter in a bowl. Spread across dough with a pastry brush. Sprinkle half of the brown sugar cinnamon mixture across the dough evenly.
- Roll the rectangle lengthwise and slice into 12 even slices. Each slice should be roughly 1-inch thick. Place 12 rolls on a greased or lined cookie sheet.
- Repeat for the remaining dough.
- Let both pans of rolls rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Bake at 350 for 15 minutes or until cooked through and light golden.
- Make the glaze. Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat until browned, but not burned. Combine with the powdered sugar, vanilla, and salt. You might have to add more milk or powdered sugar to reach your desired consistency. Save any leftover glaze
- Frost the cinnamon rolls when cool. Enjoy!
Leave a comment